Sunday, March 29, 2009

Chinese New Year 2009

26 Jan 2009

10.00am --Chinatown, LA--
It was the day of Chinese Lunar New Year 2009, and it was Monday, a working day. However, I managed to get a day off and went to experience the first overboard Chinese New Year in my life.
First, I went to Thien Hau Temple in Chinatown LA to pay a respect to the gods and then had a walk around the Chinatown to see how the people here celebrate Chinese New Year. There wasn't really anything special at Chinatown except people were burning firecrackers and having some lion dances. Life continued, shops opened for business...


12.30pm --Hsi Lai Temple--
After visiting Chinatown, we continued our journey to Hsi Lai Temple, which was about 30 min away from Chinatown, LA. When we got here, it was very hard to find a parking because I could see most of the Chinese people were coming towards this place.

We got here just in time for the oriental show held at the middle hall of the temple. For me, the shows were something common that I could always see back in home country, but for people here, they might only get the chance to see it only during Chinese New Year.

What I like was the drums presentation. Being involved in the 24 seasonal drum since secondary school made me enjoy the presentation very much. It was a different kind of Chinese New Year experience I ever had...

No comments: